Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 09:43:42 -0700
From:         Scott Semyan <scottse@MICROSOFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audio options for a Westfalia...
Comments: To: "djs@GENE.COM" <djs@GENE.COM>

Does anyone have an opinion (a dumb question) about what type of audio system works well in a Westfalia?

Well, here is my opinion. I agree with you about keeping the same speaker size, and not doing a changer. Since I will be using fairly small speakers I don't think I need additional amplification. Yes, the van gets loud while driving down the road but I will also be listening to it a lot while parked. Therefore, just about any decent deck should be able to provide enough power. I am using a Blaupunkt deck I took out of my Fiat. I like the simple looks of the deck and it is basic enough for my needs. For not much additional money, the Nakimitchi decks are beautful and sound great. When I replace the Blaupunkt it will be with a Nakimitchi.

Whatever deck you put in, you will probably need to get a 'can' to fit the new deck in the original location. Any install shop should have these. Also, take the little rubber mount off the back of the stock deck and screw it onto the new deck to hold it in place better.

You will also need to consider how to power the deck. Most decks want two power sources -- one always on to keep the stations in memory, and one that turns on when the car is on. Because VW's don't have an 'accessory' mode on the ignition, you will have to either power the deck all the time or install a manual switch to serve as an accessory switch. Powering the deck all the time is probably not that big of a deal. I didn't want to do that because my Fiat had a habit of draining it's battery when not in use and I thought it might be the radio. So, I installed a switch to turn off power to the deck when I am not driving the van for a while.

The remote sounds like a good idea. Many decks have this and I also think it would be great to switch it off from bed.

For speakers I am going with Infinity speakers. I want to use the original speaker covers so that people are not tempted to break in to my van. For the front I am using the 3.5" 3012cf (~$50). To use the stock speaker holders I need a small speaker in front. I plan to just bend back the metal flanges on the speaker and slide it into the stock holders (after carefully popping out the original speakers). For the back (in the AC housing), I will be using Infinity's 4" Kappa Speakers (top of the line) at ~$120. These speakers sound great with plenty of bass and putting them in the AC housing I hope will add to their bass resonance. To 'hide' them, I will be mounting them on the back of the opening and then using the original flush-mount speaker covers (will probably need to cut them)..

I have been using http://www.crutchfield.com to do side by side comparisons but you really need to hear the speakers in person to know what you like. Crutchfield does not really offer any price advantage to the stores around me so I will probably buy locally (that way I can take things back or call with questions if needed).

Hope you find this information helpful.

Scott Semyan '85 Westie Seattle, WA