Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 09:33:43 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Odd intermittent charging light problem (82 diesel)

Hi, I have an strange intermittent problem with the charging system (battery) idiot light on the dash. Symptoms:

1) The light stays on on startup until the throttle is run up to maybe 2500 rpm or so. i understand this is a common vanagon thing. 2) sometimes the light will start to glow slightly when driving. Sometimes brighter than other times. 3) I always drive with headlights on. Interestingly, turning the headlights OFF makes the idiot light glow considerable BRIGHTER. (WTF?) 4) The problem shows up every now and then, but is not always present. maybe it's more common in warmer weather, I dunno. 5) When the light decides it's gonna glow, shutting down the bus, turning everything off and on again does not change anything. Letting it sit for a minute or two also does not change anything. 6) If the light had been glowing, letting it sit for several hours (stone cold) will often but not always make the problem go away for some time--sometimes I may not see it again for days or weeks. 7) Poking and pushing wiring in the engine compartment does not seem to change anything. All connections there appear to be solid. 8) This is a NA diesel, so the electrical system is basically there just to power my lights and for the glow plugs and starter on start up, so the engine, of course, runs fine.

A few other maintenance-related data points: 9) the printed circuit foil behind the dash is a bit worn. for example, I have no illumination on the speedo, even though the bulb tests good. 10) I have not yet checked all the ground connections, since a) until recently it's been raining a *lot*, b) I don't know where to look for all the candidate connections, and c) I'm am really a klutz with electical stuff, so I guess I've been avoiding it. 11) When we got the bus in February, the battery was not secured in the tray in the engine compartment, so it fell over against the alternator which buzzed through the battery ground cable and messed up the alternator harness and starter positive cable. I had a VW dealership fab up a new set of cables, which I installed. 12) The connection of the positive cable to the starter solenoid comes quite close to the body of the solenoid/transmission itself, and is bare metal there on the cable connector end quite close to the solenoid/tranny. Could a slight intermittent contact there be contributing to this?

Initially I suspected I have a weak charging system, but observation 3 above makes me reconsider that.

Any ideas or pointers (connections/components to check?) would be appreciated.

T. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada tobin.copley@ubc.ca

'82 westy 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |__| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi O|. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango)