Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 08:30:41 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Westy  Waterproofing Question - Anyone Try Nikwax?
Comments: To: Todd Guttman <tguttman@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>

At 11:05 PM -0400 5/15/00, Todd Guttman wrote: >Have any Westy owners on the list tried treating their canvas tops >with Nikwax Cotton Proof? ... > >I'm tentatively planning to spray the canvas on our somewhat >permeable Westy's top with Nikwax's Cotton Proof product and >wondered if anyone else has already tried the same.

I don't think you'd want to do that. The canvas has got to breathe, otherwise you'll be sure to get wet--from moisture from the inside that can't get out. Gotta be easily water permeable.

If you want to keep from getting wet while upstairs in the rain, try making or purchasing a pop-top fly. there are several slick ones on the market, sold by folks like gowesty, among others. Here in SW BC, we get a *lot* of rain, and a fly in something I'm saving my beans for.

Hope this helps,

T. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada tobin.copley@ubc.ca

'82 westy 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |__| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi O|. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango)