Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 09:11:37 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Boston Bob & Bentley, WOW.

>At 09:48 AM 05/16/2000 -0400, you wrote: >>Doktor Tim wrote: >>> >>> Brovo Bob >>> T.P. Stephens >>> San Juan Island, WA >> >>Doktor Tim >>thanks the hydraulic lifter problem I have seen has not been limited to >>any one brand of lifter.some cases take any preload ever. >>Bob > Yeh, I knew you would have info and experience to confirm. Again, I would be very interested in knowing if this same lifter issue has been plaguing this motor in der Paterland or elsewhere. What about the Suburu engines? No similar problems with lifters laying horizontal and pumping up? Is there something unique/specialized about the similar design?

By all means, when you come up with the few sentences to describe your revision to procedures, no matter how long winded Bentley thinks it is, send your draft to the list. I just don't think I could initiate the language, having seen this problem but a handful of times and resolved all issues with known procedures. But I could take a stab at editing a more knowledgable draft.

Ya know, when you proof your design and specifications with 100 hour redline testing, you can get very confident of results, and when someone comes along and says, "Your procedure sucks.", the assumption is always, "You have either misunderstood the procedure or failed to meet specs in some way." 99% of the time they are right. But if the book says, "This part is green." and you pull the part and see red, you can talk all day long, and unless you take that big browed ape and put the part in front of his eyes, he will question you vision. If you do put it in front of his eyes and he confirms red, he gets very silent. He's on anomally alert. He will follow up 'cause he knows 2+2=4 and evidence to the contrary must needs be explained. But anomaly alert is not a panic button. It initiates a calm and collected review of the existing data, then creation of new data, then confirmation of new facts, then revision, all via foundation methode.

T.P. Stephens San Juan Island, WA