Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 20:29:31 -0400
From:         John Rodger <jcr@MAGMA.CA>
Subject:      Dayton Hamvention  and GPS (little Vanagon content)

Any of you Vanagon types out there going to the Dayton Hamvention? I will be leaving AM on 17 May in my 88 dark grey Westy, Ontario plates VE3KYT, if you see me, say hello. For those of you that don't know what the heck I'm talking about, this is one of the biggest Amateur Radio conventions going with up to 30,000 Amateur Radio operators attending. Just imagine 30,000 guys with radios attached to their belts with a glazed look in their eyes as they look at all the new gear.

For this years trip I will be using an Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) to send out my position as I travel. If you want to follow along as I wind my way from Ottawa Canada down to Dayton, Ohio and back just go the following URL:

http://www.canaprs.net/locate/ve3kyt-13

This site displays a city size map centred on the last report heard from my radio which has a GPS attached to it feeding updated position reports every minute. If you double click on the map it takes you to MapBlast where you can zoom in or out on my position.

You should see me on the road heading down on 17,18 May and heading back on 21,22 May. As this is a new set up and I'm not sure how well it will work I would like to hear via p-mail if you see me on the trip.

The whole point of this trip is not to go the Hamvention, I'm just using it as an excuse to enjoy four days of driving in my Westy.

John mailto:jcr@magma.ca