Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 20:51:07 -0400
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Horn malfunction

Hi all, I just had the exciting revelation that I may have stumbled upon a subject that hasn't been beaten to death on the group! One of my Syncros had developed a horn problem. It would just occasionally beep when turning the wheel and finally stayed on completely. For a short time I just unplugged it at the horn. After a while, I wanted it back so in I dug. I first thought that the wire in the steering column went bad, but on further digging, found that it was the contact between the steering wheel and the column. The Steering wheel came off without any problem and I saw that the brass ring on the underside had been eaten away and had spread brass shavings all over, thus shorting the horn circuit. The brass ring is mounted to a plastic disk that is press fit onto the wheel. I went up to a parts rabbit and found that it was similar. Off came the rabbit wheel and the switch assy. Back in the laboratory (garage), I fount that the disks were different but the brass rings were the same. Bend some tabs, remount, reassemble, HORN again. Always remember that the German engineers that had to build these wonders must have been as frugal as some of us are. They used the same part in different cars more often than we realize. I have to always remind myself, check first before going out and just buying new. I probably already have the part. Mark Rokus '87 Syncro (wifie's) '87 Syncro Westy: Mine :-) '81 Westy '82 Diesel Rabbit '72 Karmann Ghia

[text/html]