Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 19:45:41 -0600
From:         Gary <glee@ULTRALINK.COM>
Subject:      Valve lifter preload  was - Re: Boston Bob & Bentley, WOW.

On one of my 2.1 rebuilds, I reused the old 90,000 mile hydraulic lifters. I have tried 10 or so different lifter preload settings, between 2 turns of preload to actual clearance. Currently I have it at 6 thou clearance hot. There is no lifter noise at start up. Hot compression is about 15% higher and power seems higher with 6 thousandths clearance. The engine revs more freely (throttle seems snappier) as I decrease the number of preload turns, although it seems a bit louder/rougher (I don't mean lifter noise).

When adjusted with preload, the engine starts and runs fine. No indication that anything is wrong. Its just that when I alter this setting the engine does change, i.e.. compression, sound, power, revving. Talk on the list of this topic lead me to experiment with adjusting preload.

It seems these VW hydraulic lifters are behaving like solid lifters. If that is the case,wouldn't increasing preload would also increase duration and lift? If duration is longer wouldn't I expect lower compression? Years ago I remember trying different cams in an engine and noted how it affected compression. I know it may seem illogical, but I'm starting to wonder if I should use compression as a measure of where the valves should be set. Maybe someone can explain this. I would like to know what other peoples experience is. What happens when you adjust to clearance on an unopened engine.

Gary Lee