Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 May 2000 19:51:02 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audio options for a Westfalia...

Thanks for the feedback so far. Please keep feeding back...

In my '82 Adventurewagen, I had installed a Kenwood pull-out tape deck (back before CD players were available.) I found that the unit fit the aperture OK, but the location of the heater blower meant that it was tilted down ever so slightly, just enough to partially obscure the readout.. I'm hoping this won't be the case in my '87 Westfalia.

One thing I also did to my Adventurewagen installation was to install a second sleeve for my deck in the sink cabinet so I could have music in the back, as well. I simply pull the unit from the front dash and insert it in the rear cabinet. This was obviously before the days of affordable remote control units for a single head unit, which would be a lot simpler to implement!

I installed 4" Kenwood speakers in the door and 4 x 6" Kenwoods in the over-cab storage compartment. This setup is still in place and works fine, although audio and speaker technology has progressed a lot since I did this. I don't have any amplifier, and the stereo only puts out 15w x 4, so this is more of a "listen while parked" system than anything else.

I'm hoping to garner as many tips as I can before attempting to install a sound system in my '87 Westfalia. Because of the layout of the camper, I don't think I have quite the installation options that I had with my Adventurewagen. *** BTW, I still have the Adventurewagen, including the audio system described above, and I welcome any ideas as to what to do with it. It is in generally good condition (for an 18-year old camper), and all the appliances work. The teak interior is still in good shape, as is the upper bed mechanism. The vehicle has a Mark Stephens 2.1L Stage II motor in it, which makes for a bit more power than stock, although gas mileage seems to be a bit less than stock (go figure!). The front suspension has been rebuilt, and there are virtually no miles on the van since all the mechanical work. It even has nearly new, correct-for-Vanagon LT tires.

It's running a bit weird at the moment, and I think the catalytic converter is plugged, as it loses power once it gets up to temp. Obviously, I need to address this before I sell it.

Anyway, I need to get rid of this vehicle. If anyone is interested, I can take some photos of it.

...Dan

[text/x-vcard]

begin:vcard n:Schmitz;Dan tel;work:650-225-6119 x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:www.gene.com org:Genentech, Inc.;Automation adr:;;1 DNA Way;South San Francisco;CA;94080;USA version:2.1 title:Technical Writer fn:Dan Schmitz end:vcard