Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 2000 10:20:05 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      STAINLESS STEEL Exhaust is HERE!

I now have STAINLESS STEEL header (crossover) pipes for 2.1 liter, 2 wheel drive Vanagons!

These are true 409 stainless construction, and priced at just $179.95 each. They are made in Denmark by Jopex/Dansk, who has a long history of building exhaust systems for VW (including as an OE supplier to VW). They are not being imported to the U.S. by Jopex, so I imported them myself. The rear pipe will also work on a Syncro, but the front pipe is 2WD only. Jopex has no immediate plans to offer a Syncro front pipe, or pipes for the 1.9 liter '83-85 models, in Stainless.

I also have Jopex mufflers with Stainless Steel bodies. Jopex does not actually make these mufflers; they import them from South Africa. Unlike the above crossover pipes, which Jopex specifies as stainless, they do not specify what material these mufflers are made of. But the actual South African manufacturer of the muffler says that that the bodies are 409 stainless. (The flanges are not, nor is the external heat shield.) I verified their claim to my own satisfaction by taking a sample, scratching off a small spot of paint, and leaving that section submerged in water for several days, by which time surface rust would have begun to form on a non-stainless muffler. I am selling these for the same $109.95 price that I was previously charging for the non-stainless mufflers, so in any case it's a no-lose proposition.

Since the collector pipe is cast iron (and not failure prone), this makes it possible to actually get a reliable, nearly 100% Stainless, exhaust system for your '86-91 2WD Vanagon! Only the cast iron collector pipe, the tailpipe, and the short connecting pipe to the CAT would be non-stainless. The price for the entire system is $649.95 (excluding CAT, which is $99.95 extra, and of course not stainless).

Part numbers are 025 251 171DS for the front pipe, 025 251 172RS for the rear pipe, 025 251 053G for the muffler, and 025 251 053KS for the complete system.

These items are in my new Catalog, and are also on the website. Or you can order by p vbn additional dollar.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW