Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 2000 07:47:21 -0700
From:         David Marshall <david@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Heat in an air-cooled Syncro (long, boring,
              self-involved)
Comments: To: ed <edevinney@anent.com>, syncro <Syncro@egroups.com>

Ed, Keep the water cooled system... it works well! I don't drive type 1s as they are too damn cold (sorry guys!).

You were stating that you were not doing a 2.0L due it it's "for poor cost/performance ratio"... then why are you considering a 1.9L TD? These engines are able the same in the seat-of-the-pants feel and the 2.0L gasoline engine will be a much simpler and cheaper conversion to do. Also with a few bolt on mods, the 2.0L gasoline engine can produce 130hp with no problems.

At 09:50 PM 16/05/2000 -0400, ed wrote: >No, not an air-cooled Syncro from the factory, anyway. In my quest to >make our Syncro that-which-it-is-not, I'm down to three contenders for >engine: > >1.9TD >1.8T >3.2L 911 flat-6 > >Yes, it's a darned eclectic list. Each has advantages and >disadvantages, each makes for a particular kind of vehicle. I've got >the means and intent to do one of them, just have to decide on which. I >would appreciate hearing from owners who have executed any of them (in >addition to Karl M :-). Have ruled out the Subaru for reasons of ground >clearance, and the 2L four for poor cost/performance ratio - since I'll >not have time to do the work myself, any conversion will be pricey. > >I've thought through most of the details of each, with the exception of >how to work the heat in the 911 conversion. > >Some folks have apparently used an oil-water heat exchanger to drive the >stock system. Good idea, but the oil temp in my own 911 takes a >donkey's year to get up, especially when the weather is cold - 11 quarts >of oil is a lot to heat up. One could electrically heat the water til >the oil comes up to temp, but seems klugey and in any case retaining >water heat requires pumps, controls and other cruft. MSDS recommends >reverting to the air-cooled model of heat, which is intriguing, so not >being a Vanagon expert I started studying Bentley. > >Now the first thing I see is that the late air-cooled air handler and >the wasserboxer air handler look damn near identical, with the h2o >version having a heat exchanger instead of one of the baffle plates. >Notably, the wasserboxer has provision for an auxiliary heat booster on >certain non-US Syncros that looks exactly like the old air-cooled extra >heater. And the place where this thing enters is exactly where the >ductwork from the engine arrives on the air-cooled Vanagon. > >So am I correct to think that I could take a page from Bulley's >bus-heater treatise and build myself an insulated duct from the 911 heat >exchangers to the air handler, following the routing of the Syncro aux >heater ductwork? Will this function as an exact replacement for the h2o >heat exchanger, or is the ducting inside the air handler going to route >this "aux" heat just to the cabin, say, and not to the defroster? > >If I have to revert to the old-style air handler (and thus pull the dash >and reengineer a buttload of stuff) this deal is a non-starter. Any and >all informed opinions would be appreciated! > >Cheers - > >ed devinney > > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >72% off on Name brand Watches! >Come and buy today and get free shipping! >http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/3/_/527143/_/958528212/ >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > >If you would like to unsubscribe, visit >Syncro-unsubscribe@onelist.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (personal) or sales@fastforward.ca (business) --

Note: VOLKSWAGEN.ORG or FASTFORWARD.CA is not affiliated with VWoA or VW AG or any of their dealers.