Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 May 2000 07:21:04 PDT
From:         joseph Trussell <joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Congrats to Bessie.

Greetings List, I wanted to let everybody know how much I appreciate the tips I've recieved over the past several months; I believe that without them I could not have completed a long and fun trip in my '85 GL "Bessie." We travelled from Denver to Dallas, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Perdido Key, Pensacola, Destin, and back, covering a total of approx. 3400 miles in 11 days without a hitch. The inclines on i-25 in Colorado reduced me to 45 MPH, crosswinds in the TX panhandle almost blew me off the road, the massive downpours in Louisiana exposed a few seal leaks, and the lack of AC was noticeable, to put it lightly, all over the sweltering South, but otherwise it was a great trip. I saw 6 other vanagons on the road and exchanged enthusiastic waves, peace signs, and/or thumbs up's from each. I wanted to send this email in honor of Bessie because on Friday May 12, in Wichita Falls, TX at 11:32 AM, she hit 200,000 on the odometer. We pulled over, got a guy at the Fina Gas station to take a picture, then I had a Foster's and she had a sip of oil. Anyway, I can't think of anybody among friends and family who expected me to complete this trip without any mechanical problems. They generall believe that my Vanagon is a whim and a money pit. Furthermore, I think that those on this list can recognize what a great feeling it is to be on the road with nothing but your Vanagon and your freedom. I just got back but I absolutely cannot wait to do it again. Joe Trussell '85 GL 'Bessie'