Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 2000 13:20:23 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: receiver hitch
Comments: To: Richard Ferguson <fergusrh@YAHOO.COM>

There are 4 ways that I know of to get a receiver hitch on the back of a Vanagon...

1. U-Haul sells the ones that bolt on to the tow hooks (actually it is a ball hitch, I believe, but you can have a welder cut off the ball and weld on a receiver slot ... not the strongest option and if you use it for a bike rack the bouncing can crack the tow hooks. I did this option and had the tow hooks reinforced by a welder. This is likely the cheapest option.... and the lightest weight. Also, you might find one of these bolt on hitches used on the list.

2. Somebody on the list makes up receiver hitches (Dennis Hayes?) that bolt on to the frame. I forget his name, but he offers these every spring and you could search the archives last spring for hitches... also he was mentioned on the list in the past few weels in response to the same question as yours.

3. David Marshall sells a beefy steel tube rear bumper with a receiver hitch built in (I think). This would be the heaviest option and would change from the looks of the stock bumper.

4. You could have welder fabricate one of the above.

Bill 90 Westy Syncro

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Ferguson" <fergusrh@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 8:42 AM Subject: receiver hitch