Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 2000 14:18:15 -0700
From:         David Raistrick <keen@LENTI.TYPE2.COM>
Subject:      So what went wrong with Sharkey's "Todd Hill" tranny? (fwd)
Comments: To: Vintage Bus <vintagebus@type2.com>, Type2 List <type2@type2.com>

Just more FYI re: good ol' Todd.

-- David Raistrick '66 SO-44 Westy keen@type2.com in Guyton Ga

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:37:50 -0700 From: James W. Lindsay <jlindsay@home.com> Reply-To: VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu To: VintagVW@listproc.sjsu.edu, hooligan_racing@onelist.com, Cindy Lindsay <cindyl@infohwy.com>, Courtney Hook <chook@nisa.net>, Don Boneau <obonahan@home.com>, Electrified! <overkill@crimson-dragon.com>, Erin Lassley <silent@beatricene.com>, Gilbert Sy Chan <karmann@skyinet.net>, Jeff Martin <jmartin@sd68.bc.ca>, Mike Adams <glenburn@nisa.net>, Paul Ledbetter <Perpendicular@austintx.net>, Rachel Hollis <RHollis@nps.navy.mil>, Ric C. Campbell <RicCampbell@tx.slr.com>, Robert K. Kuhn <kealoha@hooligan.cc>, Ronnie DeVries <rdevries@pointecom.net> Cc: kn6f@dolphinsci.com, sciroccopilot@ldd.net, pearson.d@worldnet.att.net, nurofiz@aol.com, iml-vintagvw@i405.com Subject: So what went wrong with Sharkey's "Todd Hill" tranny?

To those of you I have cc'd into this post, I apologize if this brings up bad memories. Unfortunately, I installed my tranny before some of you back in October 1998, but was unable to find out about Todd's craftsmanship until just recently. You can rest assured, however, that you are not the only ones he has screwed.

Erin, could you please post this to the various Bus lists? Gilbert, could you do the same to the KG lists? Someone can let the guys on the ACVW list know too.

========

This post has been a long time coming. It wasn't until last month that I managed to bother getting my tranny rebuilt by a local guru, and it wasn't until then that I found out the *real* reason why my tranny packed it in after less than 1,000 miles of non-abusive driving:

It was built by an incompetent boob named Todd Hill.

Normally boobs are pretty neat-o. I'd say that they are up there on my top ten list of favourite things. Not this boob. At first my dealings with Todd were great. He was wise, knowledgable, and willing to spend the time to explain things I haven't had the opportunity to experience with regards to transaxle rebuilding. We corresponded via email, ICQ, and telephone for months picking options and alternatives to my needs.

I live in Vancouver, BC, while Todd lived in Olympia, WA. Todd was willing to deliver the tranny to me in Vancouver as part of a 400 mile round trip (saving me probably $100+ Cdn in shipping charges) and "smuggled" the tranny through customs so that I wouldn't have to pay duty, import taxes, etc. He also acted as a mail box for me, allowing me to order things and have them delivered to him in Olympia (like SAW axles, many Berg parts, etc.) so that he could bring them up with him when he brought up the tranny. At first he didn't even ask for a deposit, until the total owed exceeded $1,000 US (that includes the axles, Berg parts, etc.). Did I mention that *he* ordered the axles and Berg parts for me and simply added their cost to my final bill?

I thought I was dealing with a really nice guy, and I might have been at the time. My first concern, however, was when he arrived with the tranny that first evening in late September, 1998. He made the comment that "the tranny was stiff, but that it would break in over time". He wasn't kidding about the tranny being stiff... I could barely turn the tranny over while using a clutch disc on the input shaft for leverage!

My next concern happened after I installed the tranny. I bolted it in and began reconnecting all the rear suspension components. I then went inside the car and "tapped" the shift coupler on to the tranny's "hockey stick". It wouldn't shift. The tranny seemed to be stuck in gear somehow. I tried everything, but was eventually forced to pull the tranny again. Luckily I didn't have the engine installed yet (that didn't happen until the spring of '99).

I took the nose cone off of the tranny and discovered that all three shift rails were indeed in the neutral position, just as they should be. What apparently happened, however, was that one of the shift fork set screws either came loose or was tightened down when the rail was not lined up properly. While the three shift rails indicated that the tranny was in neutral, one of the shift forks had shifted and wouldn't disengage from one of the gears. The tranny had to come completely apart. Argh...

I contacted Todd and he offered to drive all the way back up to Vancouver in order to pick up the tranny and return it to his "shop". I felt that this was w-a-y too generous and offered to drive the tranny back down to him, with the agreement that he would bring it back up. I wasn't 100% positive that the shifting problem wasn't something I had caused when I installed the tranny so I didn't want him wasting *his* time if it was indeed my fault.

Todd never did point any fingers with regards to what had caused the shift fork to slip on the rail. He tore it apart, fixed it, and brought it back up. The tranny was still "stiff", however. It still wouldn't turn over without using the clutch disc for leverage.

He drove off and I immediately proceeded to begin installing it. For reasons I can't remember, I decided to remove the nosecone again. Voila! The tranny was no longer stiff. When I reinstalled the nosecone, the tranny tightened up again. WTF? How come a veteran ACVW transaxle builder couldn't figure this one out, yet it took me only about ten minutes to stumble upon it?

If you got your Haynes, Muir, or Bentley available, you will notice that there are two large bearings in the front of the gear carrier. One of these-- the large one with the flange-- was protruding ever so slightly from the carrier housing that when I bolted the nosecone on, it would apply force to the outer bearing race (thereby increasing friction and causing the tranny to feel "tight").

I hopped in the car and chased after him (he was dropping another tranny off a few miles away) and managed to catch him going the other direction onto the main bridge leading out of Vancouver. I frantically turned the car around and chased after him but I never did catch up to him. I wasn't about to chase him all the way into the USA...

Anyway, I called him up that night and we discussed a possible solution: get some gasket paper (1/32") and make another nosecone-to-gear carrier gasket to create the necessary "clearance" to prevent the nosecone from pressing on the large flanged bearing. It worked, or at least I thought it did.

I installed the tranny, but by this time it was October (of '98) and I still hadn't finished building my motor yet. The car sat for eight months before the engine went in and I was able to drive the car.

Immediately, I noticed a slight gear whine in third gear and a slightly louder one in 4th. After all the trouble I've had in the last eight months, coupled with the fact that I had *finally* been able to drive my car after five long years of construction, I decided that it wasn't worth tearing everything apart to solve what I thought was simply a noisy bearing in the tranny. I wanted to drive my car...

The car drove fine after that, up until January of this year. Then that whine I mentioned grew into a very quiet ticking sound. Ticking led to clicking, which led to clacking. Clacking eventually let way to clanking, with the occasional clunking sound. This all occurred over a period of less than 30 miles of actual driving. Then it started experiencing severe shifting problems.

I took the car to work and raised it up to drain the tranny. I still have a small Ziploc bag containing more than (I kid you not) 1 cubic centimetre of ring gear fragments-- and this doesn't count the particles I was unable to catch when I first removed the tranny drain plug. The ring & pinion had totally gone, with every tooth of the ring gear showing signs of damage (as viewed through the fluid drain hole). I sighed, filled it back up with fluid, and drove the car home to park it until the weather turned better to work on it. During that final drive home it sounded like I was grinding gravel inside my tranny. It would even stall out sometimes while waiting at traffic lights and it would crank over very slowly. Yikes!

Bad weather, laziness, and a lack of funds ended up causing a four month hiatus. The tranny finally came out about six weeks ago, but a good used 3.88:1 ring & pinion was three weeks away via UPS. The builder had the tranny for two weeks and I just installed it last weekend. He discovered a whole bunch of problems with my tranny that could only be blamed on the incompetence of Todd Hill.

Although this is a swing axle, it was assembled inside a 1970 IRS case for reasons I can no longer remember. The late cases use a large castellated nut to secure the large pinion bearing to the inside of the case instead of the four bolt flange found on earlier cases. The four bolt flange design uses metal tabs that bend up to prevent the four bolts from coming loose, while the later design relies on generous torquing and a sufficient amount of Loctite. My castellated nut was *NOT* Loctited in place and eventually worked its way loose. This allowed the pinion to shift forward & back inside the case, at times contacting the teeth on the ring gear by just the tips. Application of any horsepower under these conditions will cause the ring & pinion to work away from each other, skipping over the teeth and eventually chipping them enough that they break off. Not *one* of my ring gear teeth was intact.

Approximately ten steel synchro teeth were missing from each of the four gear hubs. According to my current builder, this is sometimes done to improve shifting into third and fourth. He can't for the life of him figure out why a tranny builder would bust them off of first and second, and they didn't break off inside the tranny during use as there was no sign of them (the gear half and diff half of an ACVW tranny are separated internally and share the tranny fluid through a tiny interconnecting hole-- a hole that would most likely not allow metal particles to travel from one side to the other). At least I couldn't find any of these steel synchro teeth in my little Ziploc bag.

One of my brass synchros was bent. The gear stacks are assembled using a hydraulic press at one point and if everything is lined up properly, there usually isn't a problem. Todd did not line up the "dogs" of the synchro hub with the notches in at least two synchros, causing them to deform when he squeezed everything together using the press. Since it is impossible to assemble the gear stack in this way (the gear stacks would end up longer and the big bearing nut on the end wouldn't screw on all the way), he *must* have realized his mistake and reoriented the synchros so that everything lined up properly. He couldn't have got it into the case otherwise.

The gear stack assembled on to the pinion shaft was set with too tight a preload, which evidently caused that bearing noise I heard in third and fourth. This was also the cause behind the large flanged bearing on the front of the gear carrier protruding out of the housing to the point that an additional custom gasket was needed. My current builder told me that no qualified ACVW transaxle rebuilder would have let this one slip by and use the excuse "the tranny was stiff, but that it would break in over time". Furthermore, no qualified ACVW transaxle rebuilder would suggest making up a thicker gasket to compensate for the protruding flanged bearing. At least no honest one would.

There were other concerns too. Originally I had asked Todd to take a few pictures during the assembly of my tranny so that I could include them in my photo diary. I wasn't questioning his work. I reminded him no less than a half dozen times while he was actually building it. When he delivered the tranny, he confessed that the pictures that he had taken with his digital camera were stored on a ZIP disk and that his wife had taken their ZIP drive with her on a business trip. He told me that he would upload them to me as soon as she returned with the drive. He never did. What he did end up sending me, though, were pictures taken of loose gears *similar* to mine that he was apparently installing in someone else's tranny. Whatever.

This tranny has also leaked since day-one. Most of that time the car has been stationary, which is extremely odd for a newly rebuilt tranny. I was forced to take extra precautions this time. I'll know more in the coming months. It's been three days and there isn't a drop visible anywhere so far.

I corresponded with Todd once or twice between the moment I installed the tranny back in October '98 and June of '99. Shortly after that, however, he told me he was moving back east to Cincinnati, Ohio to be closer to his father in-law. He mentioned this to me when he *first* brought the tranny up, and again last year. I'm not sure when he actually did move, or if he ever did, but his AOL account was active right up until early this year. He was receiving my emails as up to and including February 1, although I cannot verify if he was actually reading them or not. When I presented him with my final ultimatum on May 9 regarding what I believe he owes me for crappy workmanship, I *finally* got a bounce back from his email account. Sometime between Feb 1 and May 9 his AOL account was closed.

So that's it. Todd Hill owes me $225 Cdn (plus taxes) for a "good used" replacement ring & pinion gear set. He also owes me $200 Cdn for labour to rebuilt my tranny, and $50 Cdn in miscellaneous parts (like new 1st and 2nd gear hubs, synchros, and a few bearings). My current builder was quite generous knowing my plight, and didn't charge me an arm or a leg. If someone had told me about this guy two years ago, *he* would have got my business instead of Todd HIll. Did I mention that my new builder has been drag racing Beetles for the last 15+ years?

========

That's the story. Not much to update on my website because of this setback. The moral? DON'T BUY ANY TRANSAXLE FROM TODD HILL.

On a lighter note, I have pretty much finalized my decision as to which aftermarket computer I will be using to replace my POS CB Performance EFI computer. More on that in the coming weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------- James W. Lindsay Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Website: http://members.home.net/jlindsay ICQ: #7521644 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Fish and visitors stink in three days. ----------------------------------------------------------------