Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 2000 21:43:38 -0400
From:         ed <edevinney@ANENT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heat in an air-cooled Syncro (long, boring, self-involved)
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net>

Wow! Now that's analysis.

I think it misses one point in the warm-up equation, though. The water-cooled motor dumps (almost) all its waste heat into the heater loop. The air cooled 911 motor has an 11-bladed BHF (Big Honkin' Fan) which takes away enough heat that the 2L and maybe 2.2L sixes are OK without an oil cooler. The larger motors need progressively more oil cooling, since the fan apparently still only carries away 2L worth of heat...

So I'm suspecting that the oil carries >5400BTU/hr of heat away.

But the overall point is a good one, indeed. Lots of current to electrically heat, too. And it seems such a shame to waste all that heat coming off the exhaust :-)

Cheers -

ed