Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 2000 21:21:14 -0700
From:         t <vbob@PRIMENET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Window regulator

there be a square plastic doohicky on the crank mechanism that a piece of the lower window support fits into. Iffun if pops off, the window will not ascend. It will drop though if you are not careful. I have seen that if you replace the lower support fitting back into the square plastic doohicky, it will come off again in a metter of time. A new one of these cranks though... wheee...

hope that helps.

tim o'brien

Nate Richmond wrote: > > Today, while rolling up the window there was a slight pop and the glass > stayed hidden within the confines of the door. As I was not the one tugging > on the crank I don't know if it was turned the wrong way or if something gave > out, but nonetheless it is broken. I took the door panel of and examined the > inner workings of the window regulator, but much to my dismay nothing jumped > out at me and said "tighten this". Bentley does not offer much description in > this area and I was hoping someone on the list could help. > When I look at the mechanism I see my window crank attached to a metal rod > on one side and some flexible plastic tubing with a metal corkscrew looking > thing running through it on the other side. The end of this metal corkscrew > is not attached to anything and I have a hunch that therein lies the problem. > I cannot, however, find where this piece should be attached. The metal rod > has a large metal button that rides in a channel when the crank is turned. > All parts move smoothly when the crank turns, but the window just sits ther > in its metallic den. I can manually lift the window and it feels smooth and > appears to be attached to the metal track. Any help is greatly appreciated. > > Nate Richmond > '83 Westy "Merriweather" > Cary,NC