Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 May 2000 20:22:45 -0400
From:         "Howard Pitkow (by way of Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>)"
              <vwhoward@WAGENWERKS.COM>
Subject:      Euro-Drive: 85 Volkswagen Vanagon, No-start

iATN Help: send blank email to: help@i-atn.com Upgrade: http://members.iatn.net/enhanced.html Archives: http://members.iatn.net/sponsorsindex.html Post Message: http://members.iatn.net/email/ _______________________________________________________

1985 Volkswagen Vanagon 2.0 L

Trans: Standard Mileage: 60,000 miles VIN: WV2YB025FH013540 Ignition: Bosch Motronic

Misc Data: Eurospec 1999 Golf 2.0 Litre engine conversion Symptoms: No Start Occurs: After a Hot Soak

The van starts and runs terrific. If it runs for more than half an hour it will not restart right away. It will crank great but there will be no spark at the plugs or coil high tension wire. After waiting 8-10 minutes it will restart and run great again. It will never stall or run poorly (so far).

I have checked the ignition system per the Bentley manual and have not found anything wrong. You have to be quick at testing because it will always restart after waiting 8-10 minutes. I thought I had it today after I tried another coil. It ran for an hour and retarted several times. When I went to move it at the end of the day, I shut it off and restarted it again. No problem. For the hell of it I tried it again. Of course it had to spoil my evening. Instead of allowing me to leave happy it drove me back to the office to type this long sad story.

I want this project finished already. It has been a long time, never again. Just say no! Sorry for the long winded post, thanks for reading and thinking about it. Any ideas? Please help.

Howard Pitkow vwhoward@wagenwerks.com Owner/Technician Wagenwerks, Inc. Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania, USA

iATN Business Sponsor http://www.iatn.net/atn/wagenwerks.html

Checked for codes and none were found.

RELATED REPAIR HISTORY

We just finished installing a Eurospec conversion motor. This motor is a 1999 Golf GTI 2.0 Litre engine built by Volkswagen of South Africa. It came in a kit form which included the ECU and harness, distributor w/hall effect and main & fuel pump relays. We reused the ignition coil & ignition module.

_______________________________________________________ iATN Industry Sponsors: http://www.iatn.net/atn/ iATN WebSite: http://members.iatn.net/index.asp Guidelines: http://www.iatn.net/guide.html To configure or cancel your iATN account see: http://members.iatn.net/config/index.asp