Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 May 2000 23:56:47 -0700
From:         Garrett Adams <gadams@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cruise Control
Comments: To: Newtonun@AOL.COM

Ron,

In March 1990 I bought an Equus model 9000A cruise control from Pep Boys. Cost then was around $125-$150 installed. In use it's not perfect but for me has been adequate, especially on long boring Interstate highways. The Vanagon's vacuum unit isn't really up to the job of supplying the necessary vacuum to the cruise control. This results in my preset speed sometimes disengaging. This requires a speed up and reset, or in my resuming manual control for awhile. Also it is not very effective (or efficient) in hilly terrain but that's an area where I normally prefer manual control anyway.

From what I understand the factory Vanagon cruise control has its own vacuum supply rather than feeding off the engine's vacuum.

Reproduced below is a 1997 message dealing with these issues. I'm not sure if it was from our list or from a newsgroup.

Garrett Adams 83.5 Adventurewagen GL Stockton, California

-------------------------------------------paste---------------------------- -------------------------------- Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 15:03:00 -0500 (EST) From: Porter_Fred%PAX9@mr.nawcad.navy.mil Subject: Cruise control progress

Today I talked to the Equus cruise control Technical Service dept. (800-544-4124) and they were super helpful! I talked with Gene--he has installed the system on his 84 Westy and had some detailed modifications to make the system work. Equus does not recommend the system for the Vanagon because of the low vacuum levels supplied by the engine.

The vacuum on the Vanagons is not enough to run the cruise control so at a minimum a vacuum canister with check valve needs to be installed to build up a reservoir of vacuum to power the servo. Gene recommended to call Napa and ask for part no. 250-6019 from the Perfect Circle catalog. It will probably look like a can with two ports on it. It also has a check valve so that vacuum can be 'accumulated' in the canister. For junkyard scavengers, look for late model GM's or call automotive heating and A/C types. It is IMPORTANT that the canister have two vacuum fittings and that the flow only goes one way. If you suck on one side you should be able to feel it on the other port in only one orientation because there is a check valve in the can to permit only one way flow. Even with the canister, operation at altitude is still questionable.

Gene suggested hooking up the vacuum feed line to where the line goes forward to the power brake booster. Right now, mine is taping off the idle stabilizer valve connection to the inlet air distributor. That may be a low and inconsistent source of vacuum.

Gene also said that a vacuum pump is too powerful. They typically supply 18-20" of steady vacuum and the unit only needs about 10-16". Using a vacuum pump could result in a stuck valve and an inadvertent full throttle condition. Yeuch.

Considering the above two scenarios, I think that after I move to Utah, I'll be modifying my cruise control to have its own independent vacuum pump, but will run it through a vacuum canister with a pressure relief valve. This way I'll be able to have a steady supply of strong but meterable vacuum. The vacuum pump will be hooked up to the canister which will be hooked up to the cruise control servo. If the vacuum becomes too strong for the servo, the pressure relief valve will allow some air into the system reducing the level of vacuum. Having the canister in line will reduce the systems sensitivity to valve operation and make the vacuum level more consistent. By hooking up a vacuum gauge on the exit of the canister, I'll be able to set the release point for the relief valve. This should allow the servo to operate at altitude. For safety sake, the power to the vacuum pump could also be controlled by a pressure sensor on the canister. At a minimum, the power supply to the pump could be in series with the power supply to the servo--kill both with one wire yank at the fuse block.

If all this fails, Gene recommended an all electric system made by Rostra (previously Dana) in North Carolina, 910-276-4853

BTW, the stock VW cruise control system for the Vanagons has a vacuum system independent of the engine. It has its own vacuum pump.