Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 May 2000 10:16:51 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Not this thread again!!!!!! (WAS: Cool accessory --
              notpolitical ly correct)
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>

I strenuously object to this proposal as offered. I do not see the need for religious/political/philosophical topics at all as we can all find forums devoted to these subjects if we feel the need. However, picking on one subset of ideas for some special banishment is not called for or desirable IMHO. We should instead call for general restraint and keep to the topics for which this list exists. Of course this is Friday so a loosening of the normal rules has already been decreed.

VANAGONS RULE!!

Mark

David Beierl wrote: > > At 11:37 5/19/2000, BRENT CHRISTENSEN wrote: > > >Do you all remember the thread last year about this time that started out > >innocently enough about the > > I do. Sigh. > > >PS: I am withholding my opinion on the whole gun subject, since I think it > >is silly to even discuss it on this forum. It is pretty easy to figure > >out that there are about two or three subjects that ANY group of humans > >WILL NEVER AGREE ON, and gun ownership is certainly one of them. > > Guns tend to be a "religious" issue, i.e. one where the various viewpoints > are not generally susceptible to reasoned argument and therefore one where > it is unlikely that person A will bring even one of persons B, C, D, E to > change his opinion one iota (and since I've mentioned the R word, I'll > indulge myself by mentioning that the expression arises because the > difference in belief between the parties in the most famous Christian > heresy -- a profound difference if you care about such things -- was > expressed by spelling a single word with or without the letter > "iota." Thus doth the language grow...). > > A prime aspect of "religious" issues is that, since the energy in the > discussion is unavailable for light or motion, it has noplace to go except > heat. Because of this, and because of the resulting embarrassment and > discomfort of innocent bystanders, and since the history of the list bears > this out... > > ...therefore I Propose a special amendment to the list rules, specifically > forbidding discussion of the philosophy of guns on the list. > > I also think that it would be wise to avoid discussing the various > enthusiastic details of personal armament, since it tempts non-enthusiasts > to begin discussing philosophy, but I'm not asking that this be banned. > > david > David Beierl - Providence, RI > http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ > '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" > '85 GL "Poor Relation"