Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 May 2000 13:29:13 -0400
From:         Dominique Cormann <ml@KOZMIK.GUELPH.ON.CA>
Subject:      Re: VW ETKA cd
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>

On Thu, 18 May 2000 18:35:40 -0400 Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET> wrote:

> Dominique, > > I downloaded and unzipped the file. Next, I double-clicked on the file, not > having any idea otherwise what to do with it, and it popped up the Adaptec > CD-Creator window. I told it to go ahead and create the CD. About 20 minutes > later, after seeming to be functioning normally, I had a CD that claimed to have > no files on it and on which I could no longer burn anything else . . . in other > words, I just wasted a CD. Could somebody please explain more clearly, and in > more detail, what EXACTLY one is supposed to do with the .iso file? I work with > computers for a living, I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers, but I > have not done this before and your instructions leave something to be desired. It > seems to me that there must be some way to select the files to be recorded, but I > don't see it. Also, if you're going to recommend a different, alternative > approach such as getting and using WinImage, please tell us where we can find that > and what is the process used with that software. >

I didn't explain how to use an .iso, because how the file is burned is specific to what program you have installed, and what platform your on. I cannot make instruction for every platform and every CD writing package on the planet. For adaptecs easycd, you just right click, and choose to make the cd, or double click on the file. I don't know why it didn't work for you.

1 in 10 people writing me has told me they couldn't burn the cd. I can't figure out why people with the same software, can't all make it work, but rather then figure out that mystery, I offered the other solution. Using winimage.

If you read my page, you WILL see the url address for winimage.

> I'm sending this to the list to let others know that they are not alone in having > had problems with this. > > For the record, I really appreciate this information having been made available > and don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth. It just needs to be more > accessible . . .

Not to sound harsh, but this is a bit insulting. I'm offering the CD, not tech support. I have no obligation to even offer the cd, let alone support the cd, or explain how to install it. I made the assumption that people who owned CD writers, knew how to use them. If you don't, you can ask me politely to help, but I have no obgligation to 'make it work for you'.

Keep in mind most people, most who don't even work with computers for a living, have burned and installed this cd fine.

> > Marc Perdue > PS--Am I the only person left in the world who believes in good documentation and > user-friendly instructions? >

Did you think you were buying a support contract with this cd??

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: dcormann@kozmik.guelph.on.ca Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject