Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 May 2000 12:20:47 -0600
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Gas Mileage Experience
Comments: To: peterduryea@earthlink.net
Comments: cc: mercedes@lister.privatei.com

Peter and fellow listers,

Your post regarding come down from the mountains brings to mind a vacation I took to Wyoming in my VW Syncro Camper. Driving North on I-25 at 70+ MPH we were able to get over 40MPG due to incredible tailwinds. When we pulled off the freeway and our direction of travel became perpendicular to the wind, we had a devil of a time keeping it on the road.

Wednesday of this week I drove Colorado 93 home in 70+MPH crosswinds in the 300TE. It was actually difficult to keep it on the road. I realize that the wagon has more side surface area than the sedans, but I was still surprised that the winds were that severe. Lots of damaged roofs and downed power lines reported in the paper.

Regards to all, Jon

From: peterduryea@earthlink.net [mailto:peterduryea@earthlink.net] Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 9:53 AM To: mercedes-digest@lister.privatei.com Subject: Subject: [MB] 300TE Mileage

Greetings Listers, Jon, every time I hurtle out from the barren plains to go to Colorado for my annual summer trout-fishing expedition, I am amazed at the increased mpgs I experience. I, too, used to log every single tank of gas/diesel. That was BM (before marriage-how do you like that complicated acronym Big Timmy), now I just have trouble keeping the beasties filled with fuel. My wife has an annoying habit of leaving them running on fumes for yours truly to fill up. Anyway, I digress.... When I had my 240D in the mountains, I consistently got 35mpg. And, upon hurtling back towards the plains, I sometimes got 40mpg! And this was at top 240D speed of around 70mph. Once I hit the thick air, mileage restabilized at around 30-33mpg. My original sticker for the 300te has 16 city and 20 hwy. Is this different than a non-4matic 300te? Anyone catch my message about the codes from the MB dealers/can decipher? PeterD in Bugaha