Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 May 2000 18:12:37 -0400
From:         Mike Barfield <barfield@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Subaru vs. VW Swap
Comments: To: ThatVWGuy@AOL.COM, Dan Kinsey <ThatVWGuy@AOL.COM>

I've been shopping for a Subaru engine for about a month now. I've been to junk yards and the I've found prices around $1500. Understand this price includes the engine an all the other stuff you will need from the Subaru. I talked with a parts guy at a local Subaru dealer and he gave me a lot of good info (he has a Vanagon too and is doing the conversion). In his view the Subaru engines last forever. I had one that had 250K miles on it before I got rid of it. The engine still ran ok, but I wanted a new car. The parts guy said that from time to time owners of 1990-1994 Legacys with automatics will come into the shop to get the transmission fixed (weak link in the chain, mine gave me problems), find out they need a new transmissin ($3000) and end up trading the old car in on a new one instead of fixing it. The dealer will then use the car as a parts car. I've got my name on a "call back" list should they get a car in the next few months.

Another place I'm going to try is an insurance auto auction. These places sell "totaled" cars from the insurance industry. Try this site: home.iaai.com. I'm hoping to get a wreck for around $1000

For the conversion kit look at www.kennedyeng.com. The cost of the kit runs around $1500.

So for $1500 (engine and other Subaru parts) + $1500 for the Kennedy kit + $500 for God knows what else might turn up = $3500 or less for a conversion. I bought my Westy with a dead engine and I've had good times with Subaru's so it an easy pick for me. I've seen South African VW (118 hp ?) based kits that cost around $4000.