Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 May 2000 00:15:46 -0400
From:         Dominique Cormann <ml@KOZMIK.GUELPH.ON.CA>
Subject:      Re: VW ETKA cd
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@adelphia.net>

On Fri, 19 May 2000 22:59:40 -0400 Marc Perdue <marcperdue@adelphia.net> wrote:

> > I didn't explain how to use an .iso, because how the file is burned is > > specific to what program you have installed, and what platform your on. > > I cannot make instruction for every platform and every CD writing > > package on the planet. For adaptecs easycd, you just right click, and > > choose to make the cd, or double click on the file. I don't know why it > > didn't work for you. > > > > I don't either. I'm using Adaptec's EasyCD on Win98. Simple, straightforward . . . or > at least it should be. >

Yes it should be and if you have problems with the cd burning software you should reading the manual for the software or contacting Adaptec...but its not upto me to explain how to use your software.

Again, you need to read the page. I offered the suggestion to use winimage as last resort. I didn't create the software, and so obviously don't support winimage. So all I need to say is what I am suggesting you do with it...NOT HOW. I suggested on the web page that you use the software to extract the files in the .iso to a directory and either install from that directory or make a cd of the files in that directory. For the HOW, you consult the docs that the guys that make winimage provide.

You say you didn't mean to, BUT thats exactly what you were doing. I offer the file, plus simple instructions. For others who that wasn't enough, they emailed me and asked me questions. You were the only person to skip that part about asking me politely for help, and went straight to making a post to the list telling how I was supposed to have done all this.

It would be the same as getting a present on your birthday, and instead of saying thank you, you tell the gift giver how they should have wrapped it in a nicer box, and explain how its then their obgligation to now install the present and provide tech support for it.

> Having said that, I also wanted to point out that, having chosen on your own to provide > the data file, you assume, or at least any reasonable person should, the responsibility > to provide it in a form that is useable. That is all I am asking for, just a small > amount of help to be able to extract the files and actually use them. >

Thats crazy. NO. Just because a person decides to offer something, doesn't obligate them to do anything more.

If you wanted help, you should have asked. Its not appropriate to tell me that I should be offering help - that is not the same as asking for help.

> Instead of offering help, you insult me regarding my ability to burn CDs. Thank you > very much, but I have burned dozens of CDs, just never using .iso files. Do not presume > stupidity or ignorance on my part just because I have never had the opportunity to do > something differently. >

I insulted you because I said that most people managed to make the cd? I've got the emails here to prove it...only 1 in 10 people have had issues. In no way is that supposed to say that those people who couldn't get the cd made were stupid...show me where I said that, it just means they had problems, but most didn't.

> Since you have chosen this route, I'll say thanks, but no thanks for any help from you. > I will include something that one of the other list members did send to me so you'll > have some idea of the small favor that I was asking: >

Again whats happening below is what happens when you ask instead of demanding something from somebody whose already generously given you something.

I'm trying to picture what would have happened if after h2oboxer had mailed this to you, you had turned around and told him that now because he offered to help, he was now obligated to now either write a manual fleshing out the details of what he started below, or perhaps create a web page dedicated to helping those use winimage. I'm sure he wouldn't be impressed and would be less likely to feel like continueing to help you.

> "I have been able to successfully extract all the files and install the app onto my > machine. You need to get Winimage. > > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/winimage.htm > > After you install winimage you need to extract ALL the file from the .iso file. > into a temporary directory. > > 1. Start Winimage and open the .iso file. > 2. Select *.* > 3. Click extract (specify the directory to extract to) > 4. Use Extract with path name and click OK. > 5. Wait. > 6. Wait some more (there are a lot of files) > 7. After it is done exit winimage and go to the directory that you extracted the > files to. > 8. You can install the app right from here if you want by running ecmsetup. > 9. It takes about 20 min to install. > 10. Once the install is done , run the app. > 11. I am getting a message about Hardlock missing(I'm not sure what to do next) > > Any help would be appreciated. > > Hope this helps you." > > I followed the instructions above, which worked perfectly. Perhaps next time someone > asks for help you might consider doing something like the above instead of taking the > same amount of time and energy insulting them and telling them why you have no > obligation to them. > > Good day, > Marc Perdue >

All I can say is I hope you don't treat everyone else who is generous to you, like you have treated me. Sad.

Also if you had read my page properly...what h2oboxer is saying is what I was saying.

> Either get a copy of this software or try WinIMAGE ( see link below ), > and extract the files from the .ISO file. Once extracted, the files >can be put on a CD, or installed from a temporary directory

Quoted from my page. I'm saying the same thing.

What this really is about, is that like you admited, you just downloaded the file, and never read my page properly. If you had, you would not have needed to ask the questions to are telling me I should have wrote answers to on my page - since you would have seen I already had the answers on the page.

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email: dcormann@kozmik.guelph.on.ca Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca Diesel page: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca/gtdproject