Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 May 2000 13:31:00 -0500
From:         Michael <grendal@USA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subaru vs. VW Swap
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>

Marc,

I own another car with the 1.8L 20v turbo (1998 Passat) and I can certainly elaborate for you on what power it can make with stock internals, although I cannot say much about how hard it would be to put into a Vanagon, but I suspect not much if any harder than another VW I-4.

I have my car's ECU programmed by GIAC (www.giacusa.com ... a.k.a. "Garrett") and power is roughly 195hp, but that's not nearly so significant as the torque which now pushes firmly into the 240 ft/lbs range. Seems like this would do very well with the Vanagon, and is more torque than any other VW engine could make in stock form.

The bad thing is 1.8T's are still going for big bucks because all the other 'dubbers want this engine! I've seen swaps into A1's, A2's and A3's (in Internet pics) and it really turns those cars into rockets :) .. but, if you can find one for a good price, it'd be a great choice and you'd have a truly unique and reasonably swift Vanagon. Note: You can snag these engines from 1996+ Audi A4's as well as the VW models in which it is found (currently 1998+ Passat, 99+ New Beetle, '00+ Golf and 00+ Jetta).

-Michael

At 01:38 PM 5/20/2000 -0400, Marc Perdue wrote: >Okay, stupid question time, for tweakers only: > >Is the in-line 4 that you all are talking about the same 1.8L Turbo that comes >in current Passats? The same one that develops 150 HP @ 5700 RPM? The >one for >which you can get a chip that'll take it up to a noisy 195(6?) HP? If it is, >has anyone put one of these in a Vanagon or Westy with the enhanced >performance >chip? What kind of torque does this engine develop with the chip? Does >anyone >here have, or know of, an internet presence where this type of stuff is >discussed at length so I won't have to bore the whole list with my curiosity? > >Thanks in advance for indulging me my questions, >Marc Perdue

1998 VW Passat GLS 1.8T manual -Neuspeed/Bilstein suspension -GIAC programmed ECU (1bar boost) -UUC Motorwerks short shifter -K&N drop-in filter -Borbet Type T (16x7.5") -Dunlop SP8000 (225/50ZR-16) 1988 VW Golf GTI 16v -Nothelle suspension -Neuspeed ignition wires -Bosch Platinum +4 plugs -otherwise (mostly) stock

Texas VW/Audi fans, join Club Hot Water, Texas' largest watercooled VW/Audi enthusiasts club -- visit http://www.clubhotwater.org or email me for details -- grendal@usa.com