Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 May 2000 11:27:24 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas Leak - survey of your opinion
Comments: To: Sharon Falvey <snow@INCONNECT.COM>

At 12:15 5/17/2000, Sharon Falvey wrote: >The survey question is. Do I really have a leak? and is it safe to go on >tour without fixing the tank? Other opinions or advise is welcome.

Yes, you really have a leak. As you thought, it's from one or more of the bloody little hoses that form the expansion reservoir system. The spitting back from the filler is not related and may be reduced if you elevate the filler nozzle (the handle, that is) while filling.

Your friend is by definition "a friend indeed" -- treasure him/her. But (my own highly personal opinion, endorsed by nobody, YMMV, I am not an authority even though I talk a lot, Not Invented Here, etc etc) I wouldn't hesitate to take the thing anywhere in the meantime. I'd suggest to not fill the tank completely unless you're about to drive some of it off.

But if possible, consult with your friend and see if the major/obvious/maybe only leakage is from one or more of the hoses that you can get to without dropping the tank. If so it's pretty easy to replace them -- but cut them off the nipples on the plastic "saddle" tanks -- those nipples are rather fragile, and if you break one you'll need a new plastic tank which doesn't grow on trees, at least around here. The hose is metric, 5 mm I believe, not high-pressure hose. If in any doubt, take a chunk to your *import* FLAPS and have them match it. You'll need clamps too, the existing ones are no doubt rusted to perdition.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"