Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 10:42:03 EDT
From:         Alan Seeley <XrayboyAl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Trio of Vanagons

Hello to the list. I have owned a 85 Vanagon for about 3 years. It has had head leaks all this time but still runs pretty well. Only seems to leak water on the outside of the heads.(so far). I am concerned but the lack of money to pull the engine and replace the heads holds me back from fixing it. The question I have is, I have an opportunity to purchase a running 86 Vanagon (with no head probs, but a bit of bearing noise) and a 84 Vanagon (non running but with a better body than both the 86 and my 85) for $400 from someone I know. I want to use whatever parts I can to fix up the 86 which has a bit of driver side front grill damage. and then either sell the 85 and 84 or combine them to make a good Vanagon and have the 85s engine pulled repaired and put into the 84. Are all the body parts interchangeable? I know the grill is a bit different on the 86. and because of the bearing noise can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it will cost to pull and overhaul the 86's engine in the next year or so. I am from Wisconsin so if there are any members on the list form this area I would love to hear from you. I also Own a 72 beetle that I am hoping to slowly restore. I am starting to think this may be the beginning of a compulsion! Any help I can get I appreciate as I am not a skilled mechanic..and have a lot to learn. Thanks, Alan