Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 18:28:00 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mysterious Refridgerator fan?  Help.
Comments: To: Jason Denton <flyang@EARTHLINK.NET>

Jason:

The fan on the back of the fridge is switched by a thermistor mounted on the condenser coils. I believe that it is supposed to kick in when the temp hits ~120 degrees. This is normal operation. The only time this should be an issue is if you are storing the Vanagon for an extended period without disconnecting the battery. The fan itself draws very little current. I actually placed a switch in line with the fan when I added a second (much quieter) fan. This allows me to run one, both, or no fans.

As to the amber light, it is totally dependent on battery voltage; there is a little "trimming pot" located on the circuit board that allows you to adjust the green-to-amber drop off point. (The amber to red point changes in relation to this adjustment). David Beirel (sorry, David - I'm sure I always misspell your last name) can probably tell you the exact voltages of what the properly funcitoning circuit is supposed to cut over at.

I would test the voltage of your battery, and if it meets the voltage spec that David can provide (or maybe the Bentley?) then you need to adjust the little pot on the circuit board.

Regards,

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: Jason Denton To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 4:11 PM Subject: Mysterious Refridgerator fan? Help.

I own an 85 Westy down here in South Texas. The past two times I went out to the van during the hot part of the day (100+ inside the van) the fan behind the fridge was running. All the switches are turned off so it is not (supposed to..) run off the battery. I found that it only does this when it is really hot. I pulled the circuit breaker and it stopped. If I put the CB back in there tonight when it is not hot, the fan will not spin. The last time when it was spontaniously operating, I took the van for a ride and it stopped after a few minutes. I have even just let it run and it doesnt drain my battery. It seems, nothing in my stock manual gives me guidance. An suggestions?

In addtion, I do not have a spare battery and I just bought a new main battery. Should the LED on my stove be ready green instead of amber. I have never seen green yet. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help again, Jason 85 Westy