Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2000 01:07:38 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: A/C  refrigerant oil quantities
Comments: To: Calwolfie@AOL.COM

>Hi, >What if I want to up grade to R134a? How does one flush out the old >lubricant (since the lube for R-12 and R-134a is different and incompatible)?

Not entirely - a small amount of the old oil will always remain, and is good, actually, as it serves as a barrier to prevent R-134A from passing through the hose.

To flush out the old oil, get the tech to blow the system with nitrogen - tons of oil will be expelled. I saw mine being done - wow!

Basically, do this for the conversion:

Before making a swap, Go to a AC mech, have him vaccuum-evacuate the old system - if he blows it to the atmosphere, don't pay him - and report him to the EPA.

Have him pressurize the system with nitrogen - then blow the old oil.

Then have him lightly pressurize the system with nitrogen.

Do your swap, release compressor fittings - wear heavy gloves!!!!!!!!.

Have him pressure and vaccuum test it with nitrogen, then draw a hard vaccuum and pump in the r-134a and oil.

Have him test for leaks and proper pressures. (BTW: If he didn't know to do all of the above steps, he doesn't know his job very well.) You're done.

If you want a system that is going to last and not leak, only a ac mech can do the above.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy, converted by military ac mechs to r-134a last year.