Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2000 02:07:34 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: My I-Opener finally arrived!
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Hi Ken, and others interested in the I-Opener internet appliance for use in the Vanagon. (This was discussed on the list in March, if you don't know what this is about - check the archives for "I-Opener" or "iopener".)

WARNING.......DO NOT LET IT PHONE HOME PRIOR TO THE CONVERSION - IT'S SW CAN BE UPDATED FROM THEIR SITE - DO NOT CONNECT IT TO A TELEPHONE LINE

Netpliance has made some changes to their system, to make it slightly more complex to add a HD.

Don't worry, all the hard stuff has already been figured out, and there is no need to do anything to the circuit board, other than create or purchase the correct IDE cable, which has always been the situation. I just ordered mine from a website for 8 bucks plus handling/postage charges. I got it, exactly as advertised.

Changes to the bios, unfortunately, will have to be made to your I-Opener. Netpliance changed the bios, so that the new bios won't allow a HD to be mounted. No problem.....

Fellow "enthusiasts" created an image of the old bios, and created a special program to write the old bios over the new.

There are several pieces of SW required, all of which I have, so don't worry. BTW: none of them violate copyright laws, either.

My I-Opener is currently in transit from a kind US listees adress to Canada, and I expect it tomorrow, or sometime early this week. (Monday was a holiday in Canada, at least for Gov't workers, (Like me!))

As soon as it arrives, I'll post the step by step directions for adding a HD, and making it boot everybodies "favorite" OS.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy "Iron Igloo"