Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2000 08:28:54 -0400
From:         Donna Cassano <pokeswagon@BLAZENET.NET>
Subject:      TIREd of TIREs

First, Thanks for all of the input on antifreeze and floppy mirrors. I'll let you all know what happens.

OK, I know. This is a boomerang topic. It just keeps coming back. I know because I went through two years of mail list archives yesterday. I thought that the screen was permantly burned into my retnas and my neck was going to split open (poor office chair ergonomics). But, surely I digress. Anyhow, I'm going to throw this one out there, again - mostly to share what little I learned and to ask for input on two specific tires. OK?

After two days research, including internet time and phone time to local dealers, this is the best source of Vanagon tire info that I have found yet. I can tell that I'm going to have to be stern with the tire dealers as far as insisting that I get reinforced sidewalls and a heavy load rating. These bozos keep trying to sell me passenger tires!

My question is to anyone who has direct experience with, specifically, Yokohama Y370LT 195/75R14 on say '80 to '86 style Vanagons (you know the older square loafs). Or maybe even the Y356LT? If you got 'em, do you like 'em? Any thoughts on the 205's - ie; concern about added stress to steering box as well as fitting chains when needed?

Also, any experience with (please don't hurt me) Hercules YP-821 4ply?

Sorry if this boomerang has hit anyone on a nerve, but there have been a few tire questions over the last day. And I do give a good info link. ;-)

Peace - donna '84 Westy (Pepe) '80 Westy (Pokey)

[text/html]