Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 09:58:43 -0400
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: propane tank
Comments: To: "Ferguson, Christopher R SGT" <FergusonCR@HQ.7ARCOM.ARMY.MIL>

>...I've also found a new portable fridge that runs on >12v,220v and gas that I would like to buy it's only 399 DM which is 200$ >with the Mark rate now...

Sounds like you are in Germany with the DOD. If so, they have a smaller tank that I used when I converted a 71 bus into a camper. It is about the size of a basketball and is available all over Europe. Blue, "Kamping Gaz", I think or something like it. I bought the stove and regulator and bottle from a German Camping store, I think. I bought some extra hose and put a "T" in the line to run both the stove and refrigerator (similar to what you mention, bought it at the PX) from the same regulator. It worked fine. I made the stove part of the hose long enough so that I could set it on the floor, by the sliding door and sort of cook out doors. Then when we were through, I would slide it under the fridge. I had the fridge sitting on a shelf that was high enough that the gas bottle sat under it, right behind the driver's seat. This is all from memory of 25 years ago, so don't take it as fact, just idea. :-)

We put a lot of miles on that rig, from Southern Italy, shipped on ferry to Turkey, through Turkey, up through Greece and what used to be Yugoslavia back into Southern Germany. Not to mention three years of every day driving. Shipped it to Bahrain when we went there and sold it there. Probably still running around the desert there...

Luck to you,

Jim in Atlanta with '85 Westy