Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2000 09:19:11 -0700
From:         "Buettner, Peter" <PGB@DOLBY.COM>
Subject:      Air Suspension Meeting
Comments: To: "syncro@onelist.com" <syncro@onelist.com>
Comments: cc: "Stretch@evcl.com" <Stretch@evcl.com>

Hi all,

On Saturday, 5/27/2000 we'll have a chance to meet with Jason McWilliams. Jason is designing AirLift's (airliftcompany.com) air suspension systems for VW applications. So far full suspension kits are available for the Bug and the Split-Window Bus. Jason is currently working on a full suspension systems for the Transporter (68-79) and the Vanagon (2wd and hopefully 4wd). An auxiliary air suspension system is already available for the Transporter and the Vanagon (rear axle only).

There has been some discussion on the list about air suspension systems in recent weeks. So far I was only aware of the auxiliary system for the Vanagon. The fact that there are plans for a full system is new(!!!). So what's the difference?

Full air suspension This system replaces the coil springs with air bags. The pressure in the air bags can be controlled by a compressor that's installed in the vehicle. Pressure gauges and control buttons are installed on the dash board. With the full air suspension the ride height and the stiffness of the suspension can be changed by adjusting the air pressure in the air bags.

Auxiliary air suspension This system does not replace the coil springs, instead air bags are installed inside the coil springs. The pressurized air bag adds to the stiffness of the coil spring. This is great for loaded traveling (additional load capacity) and for people with trailers. It also helps with worn/sagging coil springs. For this system a compressor is optional. The air bags can be pressurized with a regular tire pump or at the gas station.

Jason will bring a bug that has the full air suspension installed so we can see what it looks/feels like. I will bring my Syncro Westy that has the auxiliary air suspension incl. compressor and dual-gauge controls installed. It should be quite an informative meeting.

If you can't attend but have a question or would like to provide input to the design of the air suspension, pmail me and I will compile a FAQ from the responses.

The meeting will take place on Saturday, 5/27/2000 sometime in the morning in San Francisco, CA. Exact time and place will be announced on Friday. If you're interested please mark your calendars and stay tuned.

Peter Buettner's "Air Suspension Tests" article: http://vanagon.com/syncros/technica/airlift-test/index.html Otmar "The Stretch" Ebenhoech's "Suspension and Wheels" article: http://www.evcl.com/vw/SuspensionWheels/Frame.html Air Lift web site: http://airliftcompany.com/

Best, Peter

[text/html]