Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 10:17:57 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Valve Adjustment

Could someone explain to me how the zero lash could give more power (lift?) than the stock adjustment setting? If the lifters are adjusted by the book and they are closing (good compression), how could less pre-load help? I am running new lifters and the engine runs good. Mileage is good. It does seem to run better at 60mph, than start and stop in terms of power. It doesn't seem to pull smoothly going up through the gears. Low end power seems low. Cold starts are stumbly for a few minutes, but it idles fine once warm. Could the lack of cold idle be related to the valve adjustment (low vacuum)? I have checked the aux. air valve. This is an '85 1.9l digijet. I adjusted the valves after I put in the lifters. I don't recall how much preload I used, but I am sure it is less than 2 turns. Is it worth going back over them and trying zero lash or 1/2 turn preload? I hate to fool with it if "it ain't broke." Is the zero lash more for old lifters?

Jay