Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2000 15:20:20 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: MIME Message! (non-vw related)

Boy! I had no idea I would start such I bruhaha with my response!

By the way, for the record I happen to agree with those of you that favor plain text e-mail. (I don't miss having to deal with encoding and un-encoding binary attachments, though!) When I turn off html formatting, I WANT IT TURNED OFF!!!. (Unfortunately I am a victim of Outlook 2000 in a corporate LAN environment)

That being said, it just seems like tilting at windmills trying to argue against html-based e-mail. As bandwidth becomes cheaper, storage becomes cheaper, and processing power becomes A LOT cheaper, David's excellent argument becomes a bit diluted (and perhaps a bit trivial). So what if your e-mail takes 650 bytes instead of 100 when your storage will hold 50 years worth? Who cares if your bloated O/S takes 400MB to install when you have a 27 GB hard drive?

My point is, its all relative. I don't agree with it (it seems so damned inefficient!) but I have to accept the inevitability...

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

> -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Brush, John > Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 2:24 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: MIME Message! (non-vw related) > > > > BTW2 - And why should the internet look the same to everyone? Sounds > > boring. > > > Ah Tim, you don't understand the issue. Standards > allow EVERYONE to > use the internet, not just those who choose Microsoft. You > may not believe > it, but there are tens of millions of people on the internet > who do not use > a M$ OS. These people are getting squeezed out of the usage > because of one > company's quest to dominate and rule the internet. If you > consider that to > be fair, then there is no more to be said. > > The internet operates on standards the same as we have certain > standards for automobiles. Lucky for you, gasoline is a > standard product as > it allows you to drive anywhere you want and use the car you > choose. What if > the gas companies forced you drive a certain type of car for > no valid reason > other than 'they can?' > > The idea of the internet looking the same to every > machine simply > means that ANYONE can use it. If M$ was able change the communications > standards from TCPIP to something unique, then no one could > use the internet > except windows users. (and they would do it if they could, > but most of the > internet is Unix based) > > Again, if you think that is fair, there is no need > for any more > conversation. > > People should be able to get email with a simple mail > reader that > understands the internet standard of text. When one company > dictates that > everyone send email via HTML, bandwidth suffers, slow > connections suffer, > and some folks can't use the email programs of their own choosing. > > If you think that is fair, then there is no need for any more > conversation. > > Try to also recall that changing existing standards causes M$ > windows to be completely open to viruses and malicious > attacks. You don't > hear of too many Unix machines getting taken down by an > email, do you? If > you want to know why, investigate why gates made windows so > open to attack > and didn't even care. To this day, all the windows users hate > that one kid > who sent the ILOVEYOU email, but continue to worship at the > altar of bill > gates who is the man responsible in the first place. > > If you think that is correct, there is no need for any further > conversation. > > Its not a crusade, its simply a matter of wanting to > have a choice. > Imagine living in a world where we wore the same stupid > clothes, drove the > same ugly car, and lived in the same overpriced house. Its > all about choice. > > Best Regards, > > > John >

[text/html]