Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 May 2000 19:36:51 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Diesel Vanagon Tachometer-Yes!
Comments: To: "diesel@vwfans.com" <diesel@vwfans.com>

I finally got around to installing a tach in my 82 Westy 1.9TD. I used a tach from a 1984 VW Quantum TD and a tach equipped instrument cluster from an 85 gas engine Vanagon. I removed the gas tach and installed the diesel tach in it's place. I had to use the tach housing from the vanagon gas tach. Only the bare instrument w/dial came from the Quantum TD. I had to change the wiring pin locations in the 14 pin harness to the cluster as for some reason VW changed all but 1 of the wire positions when they went from an analog clock to a tach. My alternator had a "W" lead so I connected a wire from it to the otherwise unused tach pin on the 14 pin harness connector. The 82 dash had 2 brown ground wires but the new style cluster only needs 1. I cut 1 brown wire off leaving a couple of inches on the pin. I soldered this brown wire to the other one and I used the leftover pin with short wire stub for the tach lead from my alternator "w" connector. I used the pin position for the OX led to connect the wire that used to connect to the GLOW plug led. The red OX led now functions as my glow plug led. I will correct this label and install a yellow led soon. I bought another diesel tach on Ebay and I am going to try to install this one into the 82 Diesel instrument cluster and if this works it will solve the problem of the color and label for the GLOW led. For changing the wire locations in the 14 pin connector I used the wiring instructions written up by David Beierl and posted on the Vanagon list. The Quantum tach is calibrated for the pulley ratios of the Quantum alternator. It was way off from the needs of the Vanagon pulley system. I anticipated this and while I had the tach out of the housing I drilled a small hole in the back of the housing. This hole lines up with an adjustment pot in the tach. I can just reach it with a small screwdriver and change the setting as needed. I used a tranny gearing chart and measured the circumference of my wheels. I then calculated the engine rpm at 65 MPH in 4th and adjusted the pot a few times until it was right.

Mark