Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 11:20:05 -0400
From:         Donna Cassano <pokeswagon@BLAZENET.NET>
Subject:      ANTIFREEZE

Hi Volks,

I'm new to this list and to water-cooled Vanagons. I had an '80 air-cooled for many many years and miles, but my mechanic convinced me that heat was a desirable feature so I got an '84 Westy. I have heard ALOT of horror stories about troubles with the water-cooled and I'm still feeling a little apprehensive about this newer Westy. I have recently learned that using the correct anti-freeze (phosphate free) is crucial. This I learned after topping off coolant with non-phosphate free anti-freeze. YIKES!!!

I guess my question(s) here is (1) how worried should I be about any damage I may have done? and (2) What about phosphate and silicate free anti-freeze? Saw some of this at the auto parts store and was curious if this was necessary.

I'm planning on draining system ASAP and refilling with "the best" as I believe this to be a paramount to trouble free water-cooled travels. Also, is this a job that a rookie wrencher like myself should try and tackle or is this job best left to the professional? Any recommendations and shared experiences greatly welcomed.

Peace - donna '84 Westy (Pepe) '80 Westy (Pokey)

ps : Oh yeh, is it normal for the coolant level in these Waterboxers to fluctuate. Like one time I look and it is full, then later it looks lower, then again later it's high again (all checks done cool). I keep looking for wet spots or puddles and I can't find any. ???? Any ideas of what's happening here?