Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 May 2000 05:51:01 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] Diesel Vanagon Tachometer-Yes!
Comments: To: "diesel@vwfans.com" <diesel@vwfans.com>

Yes, this is a good point, but I avoided it by using parts from an 85 Vanagon cluster. Neither it nor my 82 Vanagon have the dynamic oil pressure system so there was no issue. I used only the tach instrument (guts and dial) from the Quantum.

Mark

Nate Wall wrote: > > Mark says, "I used a > tach from a 1984 VW Quantum TD and a tach equipped instrument cluster > from an 85 gas engine Vanagon. I removed the gas tach and installed the > diesel tach in it's place. " > > Do not forget to swap the dynamic oil pressure control unit that rests next to the speedometer in the instrument cluster. Its the small "L" shaped circuit board w/ an IC, capaicitor and some resitors. Gas and diesel ones ARE different since the diesel one gets the RPM signal from the "W" terminal of the alt and the gas one gets it from the distributor, or engine ECU. I found out the hard way when I replaced my speedometer w/ one from a gas Jetta and had to remove the cluster again! The low pressure warning buzzer and LED will not flash w/ low pressure at 2,000 RPM w/ the gas board in! Its easy to miss--they look almost identical. > > Also, its easy to replace LEDs in the cluster (VW has them for a professional look) and the picture placard in the diesel cluster will just slide out and can be put in the gas cluster for that glow plug filiment pictorial. Makes a neat job! > > --Nate