Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 May 2000 22:11:33 -0700
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oh Shit!
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>

Per: It ain't the syncros!!! Try Tom C's article on the dreaded 3/4 slider hub and his description of symptoms will match you to a tee!!. The slider hub cracks and prevents the 3/4 motion. You're lucky by getting back into neutral under 30mph. I have to roll to a stop and wait a minute or two. The hardest part is breakingthe habit of going from 2-3 and risking not getting out again. I've been doing this so long, when the new tranny arrives, it will take a while to get back in the normal shift pattern groove.

Since you and I are both on a budget(I've had this for 3 months now), I've simply been driving my 90 GL in second gear up to about 4800 rpm and then shift into fourth. The 2.1 is tolerable from about 1800 rpm on up. Must be what a 1.6 diesel performance like. I'm real close to scraping up the dough for my rebuild, but a few days away.

Subject for list debate: If you had to be without one of your 4 forward gears, which one would you most easily live without? Third can be lived without except climbing windy steep 2 lane roads in the Ozarks and the Ouachitas! -----Original Message----- From: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 10:41 AM Subject: Oh Shit!