Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2000 07:05:04 -0700
From:         David Raistrick <keen@LENTI.TYPE2.COM>
Subject:      Re: HTML
Comments: To: Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Bill Johnson wrote:

> You were in the majority 5 years ago. Pine/Elm users are much less than > 1% now. How many years would you have us communicate in plain text? If

Now, mind you, this should end .now. as it has .no. vaagon content. should we like to discuss this further, let me know off list and i'll set up a mailing list just to discuss it.....But.

Visit any college campus. Today. Query the students as to how many of them still use pine or elm to access their student email accounts. Georgia southern, for example, has no opther option. Students at Ga Tech have access to a pop3 server, as well (i think...) as a web based email client. And yet, most of them still use pine. Hmmm.

Not to mention the major organizations who still use plaintext email clients.

but, the whole point here is that plain text emails are .universal. In a world of distributed computing this is an essential factor in cross-compatability. I still use my amiga to access my email accounts on occasion. I dial in to an old telnet server that i used to use, that still happens to work (via a standard terminal program...dial, connect, log in, get dropped straight to a telnet prompt).

Anyway, i digress. Please, get this off the list. (and i'm serious about setting up a list for it. mind you, all non plaintext mail will be filtered out....with the exception of foreign encodings.) ....david (sysadmin type2.com, digital-galaxy networks, atlasta networks. Proud pine4.05 user. (which .does. handle properly encoded html and mime messages. html attachments, on the other hand, are filtered and processed.)

-- David Raistrick '66 SO-44 Westy keen@type2.com in Guyton Ga