Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2000 23:59:51 -0400
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Fridays on the vanagon list

Since the debacle that happened last week, I thought a reminder of "Friday Netiquette" would be appropriate. Remember, even on Fridays the posts are preferred to have Vanagon content. From the welcome message that was sent to you when you originally subscribed:

>Fridays are a day when people do fun things on the list. These things may > actually not be VW related, but we strongly encourage it. To indicate > that a posting is in fun and may not be of technical value, you should > preface or suffix your subject with /f [f] or (F). Anyone without a sense > of humor should delete these messages without reading them.

And with 800 plus members, realize that we are rarely going to agree on controversial issues. And some postings may bring up these issues. But no matter how opposed or in favor of the issue, let's try not to let the list wander off the Vanagon theme. So please consider the following examples of how to react to posting that may bother you.

Posted question: I'm having a hard time fitting my TEC-9 assault weapon in my Vanagon's glovebox. The 50 round clip is just too long and I just can't get it closed. Any suggestions?

Bad reply: YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A GUN IN YOUR VANAGON. IT'S WRONG, WRONG, WRONG..... Good reply: I found that by cutting a small notch in the back lip of the Vanagon glovebox, it fits just fine. Also, the 30 round clip will fit with no modifications.

Posted question: I'm a big guy, and I'm having a hard time sleeping comfortably in the lower bunk of my Westy. Maybe it's because my lover is such a big guy, too. Any suggestions?

Bad reply: EEEEWWWW, GAY GUYS. GOD HATES GAYS. IT'S WRONG TO BE GAY. WRONG. WRONG, WRONG.... Good reply: Have you two tried laying in the "spoons" position? That's the best way to get cozy in a Westy!

Posted question: I was using my Vanagon as a getaway vehicle after I robbed the 1st National Bank. At about 40 MPH, the van started bucking and losing power. What could I do to find the cause?

Bad reply: You should get a Digitool. It will help you pinpoint *exactly* what the problem is. Good Reply: I'm not sure. But I'm forwarding this to my favorite Vanagon mechanic so he can get in touch with you. Great guy- he even makes house calls! His email address is crimestopper@fbi.gov

Take care,

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc http://volksweb.relitech.com 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback