Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 May 2000 09:39:38 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: wiring auxiliary battery
Comments: To: Puzerewski <Puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>,
          Richard Ferguson <fergusrh@YAHOO.COM>

At 04:43 5/26/2000, Puzerewski wrote: >I wonder the same, although i know it is probably answered many times. > >I purchased the Hella aux battery kit from Bus Depot, and after reading the >directions said HUH??? > >I have a westy, and the fridge relay is in place.

The relay ordinarily replaces the fridge relay and is wired so that the batteries are connected in parallel while the engine is running. The wire between the batteries really should be fused or have a circuit breaker, though I imagine there are a great number of such installations where it is not. Starting with our (and many others') boat where the batteries are paralleled with 2-ga battery cable and a 300-amp manual switch.

IF YOU CONNECT TWO 12V BATTERIES IN SERIES, YOU WILL GET A NASTY SURPRISE WHEN ONE OR BOTH EXPLODE. A fuse will prevent the explosion, but it's still not what you want.

Ordinarily the fridge is then connected straight to the aux. battery -- but personally I would consider retaining the fridge relay and using its output to drive the charging relay. This means that the fridge still won't run on DC unless the motor is running, but it also means that you won't come back in a few hours and find the aux battery flat b/c you forgot to shift the fridge to gas. Your choice.

Everything I've ever seen from Hella came with a wiring diagram -- is this kit different? I'm a bit reluctant (as well as lazy) to give pin-by-pin directions because I have a sort of feeling that people connecting big batteries together should actually *understand* what will happen and not just put things together by rote. And the fact that the question arises about series vs parallel makes me nervous...

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"