Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 May 2000 09:01:02 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: batteries, power, wiring,...
Comments: To: Donna Cassano <pokeswagon@BLAZENET.NET>

Hi Donna, I have a solar panel that I have set up to mount in the luggage rack... it is removable.

The problem with mounting it permanently in the luggage rack is that, depending on the orientation of the van, there are many instances where the pop top will shade the solar panel (and only the slightest amount of shade will shut off the solar panel cells)... For instance, I have found that in warm climates the fridge works best if the Van is parked facing east... thus the back side of the fridge is facing north and does not heat up from the sun. With the van facing east the pop top will shade a solar panel in the luggage rack in the afternoon. I suppose you could face the van south and this would eliminate this problem... but put more stress on your fridge's cooling ability... at least in the first half of the day.

So my solar panel is on an extension cord and can be placed to face the sun... on the ground... leaning against the side of the van... or in the luggage rack. I can drive with it in the luggage rack or store it behind the rear seat (standing up on its long edge) where it takes little room.

The advantages of the solar panel being in the luggage rack are: While driving... though I don't think it adds much, if any, charging advantages to the already more than adequate alternator charging. While parked in a public place, the solar panel is not very noticeable in the luggage rack and therefore not likely to be stolen. (My main reason for doing the luggage rack mount.)

To wire it I put about 18 inches of extension cord on the solar panel itself (plug attached to one end) and a short piece of extension cord on the solar panel controller (plug attached to one end). Then I can connect the two with an unaltered extension cord and place the solar panel outside while camped.

Up in the luggage rack, I installed one of those shore side power plug ins with a weather proof lid (available at boating or RV stores) in the rear wall of the luggage rack. A 3 ft or so section of extension cord (plug attac hed to one end) runs from the back of the luggage rack through the lower left (driver's side) corner of the front canvas pop top window. When I want to hook up the solar panel in the luggage rack I simply plug the solar panel into the shore side power receptacle and inside the van I plug in a short, 3 foot, section of power cord between the plug coming off the back side of the shore side power receptacle and the section of power attached to the controller (which is wired to the auxiliary battery).

You also have to figure a way to securely attach the solar panel to the luggage rack... just in case you have to stop fast! ... and just the small amount of shade that bungies make on the solar panel will shut it off !

I figured a way to cut slots in the side of the solar panel frame that are aligned with four of the luggage rack tie down brackets... then I insert some custom make pieces of metal (about 1" wide by 8" long by 1/8" thick) that go through the brackets and the side slots cut into the solar panel frame. [lots of micro engineering involved with this... way more time than it's worth... but it's secure, doesn't rattle, and is even padded underneath to dampen vibration... an best of all it works!]

Bill 90 Westy Syncro

Bill 90 Westy Syncro ----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna Cassano" <pokeswagon@BLAZENET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 8:19 AM Subject: batteries, power, wiring,...