Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 May 2000 12:38:58 -0400
From:         Mack Paschall <mpaschall@CPT.FSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Previa vs Vanagon

>Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:34:01 EDT >From: Kapitan Ray Nemo <Volksiebus@NETSCAPE.NET> >Subject: Thinking about a Previa, anyone owned both Vanagon and Previa? > >I'm considering buying a Previa, nonturbo, 2wd. Anyone had specific >experience with one of these. I know I'll never love it like a VW, but c= >an >anyone offer candid opinions of how does it compare to our beloved Vanago= >n? = >

Ray, I have an '87 Syncro, and my sister in Kansas has a Previa. They've had their Previa about 2.5 years, bought it used with low miles, and love it. Their daily commute is about 12 miles both ways, with a mix of hard-pack dirt roads and two lane highways. They get light to moderate snow in the winter, and have a few small hills to negotiate along the way. Never gotten stuck. The only major item they've had to deal with is a catalytic converter/and or muffler that started resonating a bit. It has not caused any performance or drivability problems. I've ridden in and driven their van, and it is very comfortable, with great AC, good visability, and decent handling and pick-up. Two summers ago we caravaned (me in my old truck, them in the van) from Kansas to Ohio, with no problems whatever. Basically, in all good respects it is a Toyota van. Compared to a Vanagon- it looks like every other minivan on the market. Doesn't have nearly the room. No-one even thinks of waving at you going down the road. It is a soulless japanese vehicle. But rock solid. If you can keep your Vanagon and buy the Previa, you'll have the best of both worlds. Good luck in your decision!

Mack