Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 May 2000 16:39:35 -0700
From:         Dennis Haynes <Dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: '89 bubbles in coolant refill tank?
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>

This id definately not normal. It indicates a leak where the cylinders meet the heads. This can be cause by improperly torqued heads or strecthed studs. Poor seating surface.Warped heads or case etc. If you are lucky, the problem may only be with one head. Have a leakdown test performed while the enigine is hot. Bypass the gauge set for each cylinder. If only one or two cylinders send air into the coolant, then just have that head pulled for inspection. It should be noted that the o-ring at the top of the cylinder is noe the fix here. All the seating surfaces must be carefully checked for condition and straitness. I had to repalce cylinders due to eroision on top from past leaks.

Dennis