Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 May 2000 00:58:18 -0700
From:         Greg <yeff@SOCAL.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Caravana] battery
Comments: To: coyote <coyote@VANAGON.COM>

Here is part of what is on our Vanagon.com site, Goto (info-Articles & Essays-Adding a second battery and charging system) for more info.

This battery will fit into the space under the driver's seat, though it's not easy. First, the battery is too tall, so you need to remove the top posts so that they are level with the top of the battery.

A simpler solution was proposed by James Matthisen. He writes:

I am going to use the side terminals and drill holes in the black access cover (and carpet) for the top terminals -- the access cover then closes. Top terminals come with plastic caps and will stick up through the carpet (but not so high that the driver's seat won't swivel). They will be out of harms way when driving, and if I need to jump-start someone I can just slide the seat forward a bit and take off the plastic caps.

An even simpler solution was proposed by Jim Davis. He writes:

There's no cutting or grinding required for the Optima. Just mount it on it's side so that the 'top' posts face forward. It fits fine this way.

Lastly, Bill writes:

My Optima rests nicely under the driver's seat of my 90 Westy and the lid is still on its hinges. Put the Optima on its side with top posts pointing forward (left plastic caps on) and side posts up. Right above the side posts cut notches in the lid and then taped across the notches with black fabric tape so there can be no contact of the posts to metal. In order to get the Optima in the hole had to cut two notches... one for each of the top posts... in the metal lip at the forward part of the battery box so the top posts would pass by the lip... not a big deal.

(This works because the Optima can be mounted in any position... even upside-down! If you do this, you can use the Optima 750, which doesn't have the side connectors.)

In order to get the battery into the battery compartment you need to remove the driver's seat entirely. When the driver's seat is removed, there may be a metal bracket towards the front of the under-seat compartment that interferes with installing the battery. Knock or cut this off, as it serves no purpose other than to get into your way. Once this bracket is removed, the battery will easily slide down into the compartment.

The battery can be connected as described in the electrical section of the FAQ. Use the side terminals, which must be positioned so that they face forward. The battery will be flush against the back of the battery compartment. Use a block of wood to keep the battery from sliding side to side in the compartment.

Enjoy, Greg 86 GL Westy Granada Hills, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: coyote <coyote@VANAGON.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 11:38 PM Subject: Re: [Caravana] battery