Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 May 2000 07:34:02 -0400
From:         McComas_Glenn <mccomas@SHORE.INTERCOM.NET>
Subject:      Blaupunkt amplifier blowing fuzes
Comments: To: jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET

John --

My 2¢ worth from several experiences with 'antique' vacuum tube electronics:

Sounds like a capacitor in the power supply section may have gone bad. This can create a path to ground (earth) where one did not exist before, so that while the unit works briefly, the resistors in the power section are heating up (well above design value) and the current draw is large (again relative to design value).

If you are lucky enough to get a schematic for the amplifier, that will make it easier to identify the power section, as you already know. Finding suitable repair parts can be a bit of a quest also, since they have to fit in a given space. Nobody is generally optimistic about replacing parts without knowing the 'why' but...... you could try replacing the capacitors and rectifiers near the area where you detect heating. This can mean searching the sites/catalogues of a number of electronics surplus houses..... akin to finding parts for an old VW.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in electronics will respond to your post, and maybe Darrell midwesty@midwest.net will have something to say? He fixes Vanagon ECUs and should have the instruments to begin a checkout procedure. Choosing someone well qualified and budgeting for some diagnostic time should put you on the right path.....

Best of luck! Glenn Queenstown, MD

Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:54:59 -0700 From: John Clemens <jbclem@EARTHLINK.NET> Subject: Blaupunkt amplifier blowing fuzes

My 1983 Westphalia has been musically well serviced for years by a = Blaupunkt BPA-260 amplifier (60W per channel-2 channels). Along with a Blaupunkt Tucson tuner I = have very good reception and the nice crisp Blaupunkt sound. Last week = the fuze to the amplifier starting blowing everytime I turned the radio = on(the amp is triggered on by 12v from the tuner...the fuze is on the = other power lead to the amplifier). I've measured a current of 32 amps = going to the amplifier which is way abnormal and making it heat up and = after a few minutes blowing the fuze(15 amp fuze blows right away, 25 = amp fuze takes a little longer). Looking inside at the circuit board I = don't seen any sign of a hot spot, no blackened areas, no obvious = shorts. There is a section that is heating up more than the other = sections.

Is there someone on the list who knows enough to help me troubleshoot = this. I'm not sure I can get a schematic because the amp is probably 10 = years old, but I can try the Blaupunkt web site. Or is there someone = who does inexpensive repairs of this type. I suspect there is just one = component that is bad, and since the fault is so obvious, a knowlegeable = person would find it quickly.

This is always the dillema in these days of throwaway electronics. The = electronic repair shops have minimum rates that often force a person = into buying a replacement instead of repairing, but when you have = something of good quality that just happens to be old), you inevitably = end up buying something that costs twice as much and is half as good. =20