Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 May 2000 14:52:03 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spare Tire
Comments: To: Bob VE1REC <robertcrawford@SPRINT.CA>

Bob, I installed a second spare at the right rear of the van. Drilled a hole just to the right and slightly up of the rear window washer filler cap. Bolted in an eye bolt. I used some hardware from a Chevy Blazer spare tire anchor to the eye bolt... but you could take a bolt with a hook on the end an run the threaded end through one of the lug bolt holes in the spare rim. The hook would hook to the eye bolt. Then get a butterfly nut sized to the hook bolt threads and tighten until the spare is snug against the right rear wall of the van. I had to slip a short length of 2 x 4 wood between the bottom of the tire and the wall to get the tire to be standing straight up and down.

Also I had a small square of the rear mattress removed so the tire sits on the metal deck. The small piece of foam was then recovered to match the stock gray fabric so if I don't want to carry the spare there I can just take it out and insert the covered foam plug back into the hole in my rear mattress... but I never have... just keep my second spare there.

As far as sleeping goes the spare in this location is not much of a problem... if you sleep with your heads forward your legs don't need as much room and you don't miss the10 inches or so that was lost. Bill ----- Original Message ----- From: Bob VE1REC To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 2:07 PM Subject: Spare Tire

Hi all., just a question that probably has been already answered...anyone have a solution of remounting the spare tire from underneath the front of the Vanagon.?

And in my part of Canada we say VANAGON with emphasis on all parts of the word... TTFN Bob 90 Westfalia Multivan newly rebuilt engine...109k kms..catastrophic breakdown of headgaskets...pooof gone!!!

[text/html]