Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 May 2000 09:46:04 -0700
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: power in bus for a PC (little Vanagon)
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Jeff, If you really want the final answer to your question you should call Compaq. That said, my understanding is that you can indeed run your computer off the charger.... I do with my Dell lap top in my Vanagon. I think the way it works is that you are always charging your battery... the power goes through your battery... anyway, it works.

Another point... I would stay away from any cheepie inverters to charge your lap top... I would only use a charger or inverter recommended by the lap top manufacturer. The quality of power that comes out of inverters varies with brand and model. If anything ever happened to you fry your computer or battery and you were not using a Compaq recommended charger/inverter your warranty would be null and void.

Also, if you are going to use your lap top for great lengths of time you may want to install an auxiliary battery in your Van. My Dell uses 3 to 4 amps/hour. (You can look on the back of the computer or on a charger specifically made for your computer to get an idea of how much your computer will use... or maybe ask the tech people at Compaq.) That means I can use it for about 12 to 15 hours continuously running off my auxiliary battery... If I were running it off the starter battery I don't think I could start the Van after that. Also, talking about power usage... the inverter option will likely use (waste) more power than the 12V charger... I measured about 1/2 amp on the one that I used to use... just wasted to heat.

Good Luck, Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey R" <Oxroad@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 10:57 PM Subject: power in bus for a PC (little Vanagon)