Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 May 2000 14:46:00 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 134A refridgerant (slight rambeling)

The ONLY advantage of 134A is any one can buy it and install it. Oh and its safe for are planet. (sarcasm) It is in no way better than R 12 in fact it can't be compared far as chemicals are concerned. I don't want to start another discussion on this and I know several list members have retrofitted to 134A, I only want to help. I cringe when this topic comes up. I have been in heating, cooling and refrigeration for over 15 years, I have very strong beliefs why it was even created $$$$$$$$ Our mighty government created a myth to tap into tons of money they never touched before. I didn't just say that did I? When you raise the price of something (tax) you force the market to come up with alternatives. Alternative is just that, another choice. It does not describe better nor equal too. For example, lets say I forgot my bathing suit, My alternative is don't swim, swim in my cloths, or swim naked. Several alternatives but non better, especially for those with eyes around me. Dupont and other manufactures that produce the chemicals R 12 & R 22 are getting around 10% of the going price the rest is tax. So now we have several new types of refrigerant, different chemicals that are not compatible with older systems. The most common in autos now is 134A. Now when a system is designed to work on this it works, if you talk to mechanics its garbage, new cars on 3rd & 4th compressors, not cooling complaints. when you change a few seals, the oil, and expansion valve and/or the orifice whatever, you are now ready for 134A it works, but not as well. R 12 will still be available, the key @ $30.00 + per pound is a tight properly working system. Yes you will have to pay an EPA certified individual to install it. I like many on the list hate to let others touch our beloved vans and cars, but far as the a/c system goes its worth it to have it done by someone with the right equipment. After any work is done on an a/c system is is very important to pull a vacuum and leak check. A proper vacuum can only be achieved in time, I personally run a vacuum pump for no less than an hour, usually two -three hours. This goes for any time the system is open to atmosphere.

By no means is calling a retrofit to 134A "AN UPGRADE" it is my opinion a mistake that costs money. I have been looking into direct replacements for R-12, one is freeze 12, this is compatible directly into your system, and most importantly the oil. Until the price comes down it is still not worth looking into. As long as R-12 is available stay with it.

My 2 cents Flame suit at cleaners, go easy on me.

Rob