Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 May 2000 19:03:49 -0700
From:         t <vbob@PRIMENET.COM>
Subject:      The 83 lives...(long narration)

At long last, I finished reinstalling the motor in my 83 AC. It had been leaking oil like a sieve. I pulled the engine, prepared to do the front and back seals. Found out it was the oil cooler not only leaking like a cheap faucett, but also clogged with crappola (spanish.. oh never mind). So, new oil cooler, did the seals anyway (I was there, right?), and then it sat. Been sick with this damned flu, coughing bit for a month now. Just not the energy to go put it back in. Thursday evening, I said, yep, it goes back in tonight. It did. No real issues, replaced the 4 M8 bolts and self locking nuts that hold it all up. Tightened the Front tranny mount (I learned from experience) and let it sit a couple more days. Finally, today I decided I want to use my shop tomorrow for woodworking (Impossible with the van in there), so I connected almost everything and it fired right up. Sort of click clacky for a bit (as I expected), and didn't seem to have a lot of power. Drove it arounfd the block and there was bunches of light gray smoke coming from the tailpipe. Now this thing didn't burn oil before, it was leaking it too fast... hmmm. Let it heat up thinking it was oil passthough from the valves... nope. Ok, Pull it back into the garage... whoops, dies. won't restart. Open the hatchway again, everything looks ok... wait, what's this? A connector many pins... under the passenger side intake tubes.... Hmmmm where does this go? Over to look at the 81... Ah... Mass air box! The amazing thing is it ran. And not too bad with it off. Plugged in, around the block a couple more times to get it up to temp... Now it is in the driveway doing a leak test. Two hours and not one drop... It does idle fast. Any clues?

Soon... for sale 83 AC 7 passenger. I need to replace the windshield and give it a good cleaning.

tim o'brien 84 halfbreed weekender hardtop 'Cory' 83 7 passenger, no longer called 'smokey' 81 Westy Hulk... I keep looking at this van and thinking it needs me (kinda like the christmas tree in "Charlie Brown Christmas, no?) 92 Toyota (I gotta drive something)