Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 May 2000 19:27:48 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Sunday afternoon VDO gauge project

Well, I spent sunday afternoon installing a VDO gauge set from a 1979 GTI into my 84 Westfalia.

I remember reading in the archives that someone was stating that the gauges will not fit in the plastic bit under the radio. Well, in my 84 Westfalia there is room to spare and they fit quite well. I installed a VDO Volt Meter and a VDO temprature gauge. The only problem is the viewing angle - I can't read VOLT or TEMP at the top of the gauge - reading the gauge is no problem though.

The Voltmeter is about as simple as it gets. Ground (31), and Power with key on (15), plus the dash light connection

The Temprature Gauge is a little more interesting. There is a switch installed next to my gas heater knob that allows me to select between the cooland and the oil temprature. Pretty neet - I only took it for a short ride today but the setup seems to work quite well. This week I am going to get a three position switch and another sender and install the sender in the radiator so I can monitor front and rear water temps. Should be quite interesting - especially this winter!

The third thing I did is run some RG-58 cable from the rear to the front. This is attached to the Oxygen sensor so I can get a 0 to 1.00 Volt Meter and monitor the mixture... so far today I just had my Digital multimeter on there and I running lean on the highway - Yikes!

If anyone is interested in photos or has questions on the install - please let me know.

-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --